BMW E24 & E9

$59.00

This book is one of a series dedicated to classic BMW cars. It contains hundreds of original pictures of the New Class, E9-, E24-, E26-, and E31-Series coupes from the company’s advertising booklets published from the 60s to the 90s. The illustrations are accompanied by dozens of technical and historical facts. The book will certainly be a great gift to all current, former and future owners of BMW, as well as to anyone who is not indifferent to the classic models of the company.

Category:

Description

BMW E24 & E9

The German company Bayerische
Flugzeugwerke AG, later renamed
BMW, began with producing aircraft
engines. Many German World War I
ace pilots, including Hermann Göring and
Ernst Udet, flew in planes equipped with
BMW IIIa engines.

But according to the Treaty of Versailles at the end of the war,
Germany was forbidden to produce airplanes.
BMW management was forced
to urgently look for new consumers for
its products and alternative sources of
income. In the fall of 1923, the company
presented its first motorcycle to the public,
the BMW R32.

Having gained the necessary
experience producing 2-wheeled
vehicles, the company decided to go further
and start producing automobiles.
In October 1928, BMW acquired Fahrzeugfabrik
Eisenach, which the year before
had set up licensed production of
the small British Austin Seven under
the name Dixi 3/15 PS.

The upgraded version of this model was designated
BMW 3/15 PS DA 2 and was produced
from 1929 to 1932. In 1933, a completely
new car, fully developed by the company’s
specialists was presented, the BMW
303.

Under the hood of the new car was
an inline 6-cylinder engine, which served
as the basis for the brand’s further development.
By the end of the 1930s, the
firm was already offering a wide range of
models, including the company’s pride
and joy, the BMW 328 sports car.

That’s where the history of sports cars with the
white and blue emblem began.
BMW went through a difficult period after
World War II. The loss of the production
base in Eisenach during the post-war
division of Germany, as well as marketing
miscalculations, led the company
into a financial crisis.

The situation was saved by entrepreneur Herbert Quandt,
who invested a lot of money in BMW
and thus preserved the independence of
the Bavarian brand. The investment was
aimed, among other things, at creating a
new modern model that could attract a
wide consumer audience to BMW products.

This is how the famous New Class
family appeared, including the stylish
and elegant sports coupes 2000 C/CS,
in addition to sedans.

Compared to the sedan, the coupe looked more aggressive and dynamic due to the different design of
the front end, as well as the lack of a central pillar. The most striking feature was the unusual trapezoidal
shape of the headlights. In order to reduce production costs, and therefore the final cost, the car was
technically unified as much as possible with the related sedan, including the engine. Due to the lack of
production capacity, the body was entrusted to Karmann.

The 2000 CS coupe was based on the New Class sedan, so its
wheelbase was the same size, 2,550 mm. For better stability on
the road, the wheel track of the coupe was increased to 1,330
mm (+10 mm) at the front and 1,376 mm (+10 mm) at the rear.
The coupe and sedan bodies were different not only by design,
but also by proportions: the length increased to 4,530 mm (+30
mm), while the width and height were reduced to 1,675 mm (-35
mm) and 1,360 mm (-90 mm), respectively. Due to design differences,
the curb weight increased to 1,160 kg (+90 kg) compared
to the BMW 1800.

Read the continuation of this story in the book.

Other books about history of BMW:

BMW E34 & E39